"You're more poet than anything." I folded my arms and glared at Ian. He sat perched on the edge of the roof, dressed like an adventurer. I coveted every part of his outfit -- the breezy shirt made of course cloth, the sturdy breeches, the leather boots that laced up to his calves, the dagger on his hip. Tomorrow he would set sail to a life I craved more than anything. But did he appreciate his opportunities? No. And I hated him for it. "Do you despise poets, Ingrid?" His voice was sad, but a grin twisted at the corners of his mouth as he finished his question. Those blue eyes of his cut in my direction with a teasing flash. "They don't DO anything." My thoughts and emotions ran in torrents, but I could see his flowing smoothly and quietly. Even in his uneasiness about the morrow, his face was a peaceful as a child falling asleep in his own bed. ...

Contemporary would be neat, just because it hasn't been done in one of the collections yet. (I think?) I like the idea of Victorian as well! Or perhaps something closer to Bible times, BC or early AD...
ReplyDeleteOoh, those are fabulous!
DeleteWow. All of those sound so awesome. :D I'd be happy with any of those, really. (Revolutionary War sounds especially intriguing though).
ReplyDeleteI did have an idea for a Snow White retelling set in modern day... but with a Renaissance princess. My contest entry was set exactly 300 years in the future.
Squeal! I love the Renaissance princess in modern day!!!
DeleteVictorian is a favorite of mine, modern would be cool, and I am a sucker for the 1920's but I feel that biased because mine is set in the 1920's
ReplyDeleteYes! Can't wait to see if any of these settings end up in the winning circle!
DeleteI tagged you for The Spring Cleaning Writer's Tag
ReplyDeletehttps://skyehoffert.blogspot.ca/2018/03/spring-cleaning-writer-tag.html
Not sure if I already commented this XD
Thank you!
Delete