Skip to main content

Flaws and Appreciation




     We all have flaws.  And sometimes courtship and marriage showcases them in a new light.  There have been multiple times over the past several months when I was shocked by my own imperfections.  Wow, I was really rude.  Wow, I sound incredibly arrogant.  Wow, I'm a wimp.  Wow, I've got a lot of weird defenses built up.  Wow, I most definitely fall short of the glory of God.  Every now and again, I wonder how on earth Garrett puts up with me, let alone still likes me.
      The showcasing of flaws goes both ways.  And my wonderful man is not perfect.  In fact, sometimes he's REALLY not perfect.  Ah-hem.  At the beginning of our relationship, I was a little surprised to find out that Prince Charming isn't as error-free as I imagined.  Oh, to be sure, I knew nobody was perfect...theoretically.  But somewhere in my subconscious, I expected all his imperfections to be irrelevant and minor -- you know, like he left his dirty clothes on the floor or he put the toilet paper roll on upside-down.  To which faults, I would smile and graciously overlook them.  I didn't foresee some of the more vital things we had to talk through.
      But talk through them we did.  And that's part of how we knew this relationship would work.  Because relationships aren't built on two people who always think exactly the same way.  They are built on two people who stick with each other and grow because of each other.
     And they're built on something else, too.  They're built on appreciation of each other.  Did you know that some of our so-called flaws are not really flaws?  Some things get labelled as flaws because of culture rather than because God calls them flaws.  And, sometimes, something that gets us labelled as "weird" in one set of friends earns us a title of respect in another group of friends.
     I'm a quieter, less-obtrusive person usually.  That's my nature.  In some circles, that gets labeled as shy, awkward, easy-to-forget, defective.
     I like to learn things and to be able to teach them to others.  In some circles, that gets labeled as geeky, bookish, brainy arrogance.
     I am a strong person, flexible on most things, but completely immovable on others.  I like a strong leader, and if my strong leader is doing something wrong, I have absolutely no qualms about facing them head-on.  That solidity is actually really scary to some people.
     I'm athletic.  I like to run and climb and sword-fight (I'm no good at it yet, FYI) and throw things (spear, ball, knife, etc).  In some circles, that's not very feminine.
     But these are things that Garrett doesn't just tolerate in me...he actually likes them.  These were qualities he found attractive in me...some of them were skills and traits he was looking for in a wife.
     Do you have any idea how cool that is?  To find out that some of the things that are unique about you are of great value?  Do you know how much it means to both of us that the other one APPRECIATES us for who we are?
     So, from the perspective of a girl who will be married in a little over a month, part of marriage is this:

  1. Discovering your own flaws (AAAAAH!) and working through them with God's help
  2. Being grateful for a spouse who loves you in spite of your flaws and helps you become better
  3. Offering grace and forgiveness and love to your also-flawed spouse and never give up on them.
  4. Thriving with the encouragement your spouse gives you over the wonderful unique things about you.
  5. Constantly finding things to appreciate in your spouse.
     And, all in all, marriage is a marvelous thing, and I highly recommend it.

Comments

  1. This is a beautiful post....and so true. Thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Esther! You two seem like such a sweet couple :). Thank you for sharing!

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, I am so happy for you two!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?