Skip to main content

REST

Rest. It's something that Garrett and I have been longing for. Life got pretty crazy in March, but we told ourselves that if we could just hang on until summer things would smooth out. That's just a few months, right? We can handle that, right?
But it didn't get easier in June. In fact, it got even harder. But don't worry, it will be better in November. In November, things will get simpler. And so, even though I'm maxed out and feeling like I'm about to lose my mind, I can hang on to this hope of November. It's going to be okay.
Well, November hit. And in case you couldn't foresee this coming, let me tell you that the last 8 days have been even more intense. And you know what Garrett and I said? "Don't worry. Next week is our honeymoon. We can rest then."
Ha.
There were two problems with this. One is that, while I might be slow sometimes, I'm not complete idiot and I was beginning to recognize a pattern here. And the second was that things were getting too overwhelming to handle, even for just one more week.
But what did the pastor at our church decide to preach on, during the week of my wedding?
Rest.
Because we find our rest in God and in what Jesus had done for us.
We find rest in praising Him and appreciating how awesome He is.
We find rest by doing just what God did at the end of creation -- seeing the good in what He has done.
And the fun thing is that everything else in your life starts to fall into place. Timing works out. You know how to do things. People show up to help.
The pastor talked about taking naps in awkward places. Even though you may sleep, you don't get good rest. He tried to nap in his car on the side of the road, but he kept startling awake with dreams about almost running his car into somebody.
You see, you may be able to mimic rest by looking in other places, but the only place you're going to "sleep really good" (find perfect rest) is in Him.
And that was the perfect sermon for this week. I'm selling back into a peaceful (albeit busy) routine, and everything is coming together! I'm getting excited about the wedding. Pictures to come afterward!!!

Comments

  1. Wonderful post, Esther! I really enjoyed it - and I can't wait for the pictures :D.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I enjoyed this post - such good thoughts. :)

    I hope everything goes well for you, and you're able to rest in Him throughout. :) Looking forward to seeing the photos too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?