Skip to main content

An Arranged Marriage - 20


     Ilona wrapped her arms around her pillow and sank deep into sleep.  Dreams swirled around her, building in clarity until she saw herself as a little girl in the castle garden.  The swing was in front of her, and its stone arbor was covered in twirling vines with tiny pink blossoms.  She climbed up onto the swing and pressed her nose into the spring flowers.  She was happy.

     A black-haired boy climbed up next to her.  “I’m going away, Ilona.”  His voice was immeasurably sad.  He clenched his little jaw determinedly.  “But I’ll come back.  I promise.”

     Ilona sat down on the swing, surveying her playmate in dismay.  Going away?  Why would he go away?

     He sucked in a deep breath, puffing out his chest.  “Ilona,” he said.  “You’re my best friend.  When I grow up, I’m not going marry anybody but you.  I’ll take care of you forever and ever.”

     “Okay,” Ilona heard herself lisp.

     Ilona’s eyes flew open and she stared into the thatched roof.  Where had that dream come from?  She rolled over and tossed and turned, but she couldn’t get back to sleep.  Finally she grabbed her robe and slipped out of the hut.

     The moon was full and bright, and the air was chilly.  Ilona shivered, even in her robe.

     “It’s warmer by the fire,” a woman called softly.  It was Verana.  She sat by the fire in front of a neighboring hut.

     Ilona directed her steps toward her aunt.  Verana stirred tea in a black pot, nestled in a bed of coals.  Ilona sat down on a log and watched as Verana dipped a cloth into the tea and then placed the cloth over her arm.

      “Tea-staining,” Verana said, in answer to Ilona’s quizzical expression.

     “Why?”  She felt herself relaxing in the fire’s heat.

     “Originally, I’m sure it had some purpose – camouflage most likely.  Now…”  Verana dipped another cloth in the tea and lay it over her other arm.  “…it is tradition.  As much a sign of beauty to us as your red lips and jewels are to you.”

     “Our world must have seemed strange to my mother.”

     Verana laughed.  “As ours does to you.”

     Ilona sighed.  “I miss them.  Mother and papa and D--” She caught herself and stopped.  But Detlef’s name still rang between her ears, surprising her.

     Very carefully, Verana applied the tea to her face and neck, but she kept one eye on Ilona.  “You are thinking of a suitor, no?  You have a favorite?”

     “I thought I had two favorites, but…only one of them makes me feel at home, makes me feel like he’s always been there for me and always will be.”  She stared into the fire.  “Emil seemed almost perfect, at first, but now I don’t know.  I’m sure he’ll be perfect for somebody.”  She searched her mind for a way to explain how she felt.  “You know, Papa had to call my name twice to remind me of my duty to crown him the winner of the fencing game.  I was too distracted watching…”  Her eyes dropped.  “Never mind.  It doesn’t matter who -- Horst is picking my husband for me.”

     “It matters more than you think.”  Verana wrung her cloths and dipped them in the pot again.  “You must wonder why this little kingdom-within-a-kingdom cares who marries the princess of Hanadil.  We pay no taxes.  We are not subject to your kings, for none of your kings can find us.”

      Ilona chose her words carefully.  “It made sense to my mother.”

     “We may seem out of your reach here, but we still feel the influence of the castle.  And so do our friends among the Hanadil people.  Even now, one of our own suffers at the hand of a wicked viscount.  A bad ruler does terrible things to a people.  It has long troubled us how the kings and queens are chosen based on power connections.”  Her eyes flickered to Ilona’s face.  “Your papa chose for better reasons, but we saw Amalia’s position in the castle as our inroad to make Hanadil a better place, both for this generation and the next.”  She reached out and placed her hand over Ilona’s.  “We want what is best for you, Ilona.”

     “So does my papa.”

     “Then perhaps we shall all agree on the same man.”  Verana stood up.  Clouds were moving across the sky, letting moonlight through sporadically, like smoke signals.  “Try to get some sleep, Ilona.”

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?