Skip to main content

Why We Don't "Pants" in Public

     The Mental Ward came to a close this past weekend.  I very much enjoyed writing this story and discovering it along with you all.  Your encouragement made a world of different to me, in helping me finish.  And it was kind of fun to just write without worrying about anything.  There were definitely some motivation-and-pleasure advantages to writing and sharing a story as you create it.

     That being said, there are reasons we plan our stories before releasing them to the public.  If you read over The Mental Ward, from beginning to end, you will find multiple errors, some people speaking or acting out of character, several overused gestures or expressions, a few plot holes or unresolved threads, and so forth.  That's because stories are not perfect the first time through.  Remember, we edit for a reason.

      Writers are often categorized as plotters or pantsers.  Plotters have their novel planned out before they start writing.  Pantsers do like I did with Mental Ward -- we write each scene without a guiding outline, discovering the story as we go.  Either one is a workable method, but, when you fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants in public, everyone gets to see your blunders.  It's a little smoother if you pants in private, then edit, and THEN post your story.

      Add to that downfall the issue of dependability.  I tried really hard to write a scene every week for you guys without fail.  But you will see that there was a gap of several weeks where absolutely nothing was written.  Which is another reason why writing the whole thing ahead of time would have been a great idea.  I could have scheduled it out on my blog and then sat back to watch.

     So I'm entirely arguing against the idea of sharing a story as you write it, but there are definitely some reasons why it could be embarrassing to "pants" a story in public. Lol.

      What do you think?  Can you think of other reasons why you should or should not post as story as you write it?

This is a picture I took on the James River, in the fog and rain.  It was such a fun day, and I loved the air of mystery added by the mist.


     

Comments

  1. For me, it would depend on what I was writing, as I seem to switch between plotting and pantsing depending on the nature of the story. For my Sleeping Beauty story, I felt I needed to have strong footing in each chapter, and I would go back almost immediately after each chapter to fix holes and polish things. But I'm writing another story now, which is a loose fairytale built just on pantsing. And I really wouldn't want anybody to see that now. It's riddled with spelling errors, and whole plot points that never happened, that I have to go back and fix. I guess there's definitely more freedom and confidence in creating a story in private, but the excitement of discovering a story along with the author has its own special thrill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never really put a whole story up on my blog for anyone to read, I think that was very brave of you. I have been doing tons of beta reader so I didn't have time to read most of the installments, but what I read was good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?