Saturday, October 29, 2016

The old brown couch

A well-meaning friend offered me a couch this week. A very nice couch.
But I like Garrett's couch. It's soft and brown and cozy, and I've fallen asleep on it a couple times.
So I messaged Garrett to tell him of the couch offer. Maybe he won't like the new couch. Maybe it's too brightly colored for his cave-like den.
He liked the new couch.
Oh, dear, what do I do now?
This is the time when I split into two people - feelings and logic.
Feelings: I think...I don't know... But I don't want a new couch!
Logic: Why? Garrett has told you how his sinks down where the boys always sat. And you know this couch is a nice one.
Feelings: But I like his old couch.
Logic: Why?
Feelings (starting to get all panicky and weepy): Because everything is changing so fast. I'm moving out. I'm getting married. I'm changing everything. I JUST WANT THE COUCH TO STAY THE SAME. And it's brown and cozy and soft and snuggly and it makes a comforting cave. (wailing) Why do we need a new one???
Logic stares blankly for a moment and then tries again: If the new couch is in better shape and will last longer, it only makes sense to get it. And if Garrett likes it, we have a win win situation. Seriously, it's just a couch. I don't understand why this is turning into a big deal.
Feelings: (hiccupping around sobs)
Logic: Okay, then. Moving right along. Clearly you have lost your sanity. Quite alright - I've noticed you do this periodically, and you always seem to recover. However, we shall remove your decision-making privileges until you return to a rational state of mind, per protocol.


I still haven't decided about the couch yet. But other than that, I'm handling the impending major life changes pretty well, thank you.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I know about those logic vs. feelings arguments FAR to well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I sympathize completely! You captured it perfectly though :)
    I've had a lot of conversations between feelings/logic; each time it seems a different one wins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 😂 I'm glad I'm not the only one who has these two voices in her head. And, yes, Mary, the winner varies from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am horrible at making decisions too, I understand.

    ReplyDelete