Skip to main content

An Arranged Marriage - 4





    The birds were singing when Ilona awoke.  She stretched, feeling the delicious coolness of blue silk sheets against her skin.  Cordula’s plump form appeared in her vision, holding up a pink gown.  

     “Will this gown suit you for today?”

    “Aye.”  Ilona rubbed the sleep from her eyes and accepted Cordula’s help in dressing.

    “Did you enjoy the dancing last night?” Cordula cinched Ilona’s laces firmly.

    “I did.  I had more partners than I knew what to do with.”

    “Any of them catch your fancy?”  She smoothed Ilona’s hem with a practiced hand.

    Ilona leaned against her mahogany bedpost and played with the edge of the blue silk covers.  “Two…I think.”

    “Two!”  Cordula scowled.  “Well, you cannot marry but one.”

    “I know.”

    “Sit down while I do your hair, and tell me what you liked about them,” Cordula ordered.

    Ilona sat by the window and crossed her arms on the windowsill.  “They were both very handsome.”

    Cordula snorted, yanking the comb through Ilona’s hair.

    Ilona winced as Cordula found a tangle.  “Emil said all manner of nice things and seemed to like me a great deal.  And he had a good sense of humor.  Plus he seems to be well-educated and well-traveled.”  An involuntary shiver ran over Ilona’s head as Cordula parted her hair into strands.  “And Detlef…he was so mysterious…and yet I felt as if I knew him…and liked him.”

    “King Rowan’s son?  Aye, he came here when you were but a wee girl.  The two of you would play for hours.  A sweet boy, he was.”

     “I don’t remember him.”

    Cordula thoughtfully pinned Ilona’s hair up.  “Mmmm…no, I reckon not.  You were…let me think…four years old?”

    Ilona sighed and pressed her fingers to her forehead.  “Cordula, how do I pick the right husband?”

     Cordula rubbed her dimpled chin and propped her other hand on her hip.  “You want a husband that will be kind to you.  No beating or yelling.  He should rub your feet when you’re tired from a long day.  And he should know how to use money wisely – no wasting it on useless things.  He should be a hard worker.  He should like your cooking, and he should be good with childrens.  And you should like being together.”

     Ilona tried not to smile over her plebian requirements.  “Are you married?”

    “Lands, no!  What do I want a husband for?”  Cordula bustled away to fluff Ilona’s pillows and make her bed.  “I have enough to do here with you.”

    “Am I trouble?”

     Cordula straightened up, her eyes alight with love for her young charge.  “Never.”  She rubbed her nose vigorously.  “Now you run along outside and walk out any kinks leftover from a night of dancing.”

     Ilona wrinkled her face reluctantly and glanced out the window.  But as she caught sight of a tall dark-haired young man strolling into the shrubbery, her legs began to ache for a stretch, and she found herself saying, “Thank you, Cordula.  I think I shall.”


(by Esther Brooksmith)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?