Skip to main content

A Sense of Obligation

On Anne-girl's new blog (Half-Baked), she posted a series of questions for us to answer.  Here is the post.  Below are the questions and my answers.
Best French Vanilla Cake Recipe from Scratch - MissHomemade.com

What is your favorite kind of cake? If you don't eat cake {because of gluten issues or allergies or diet or whatever} what is your favorite dessert?  I like vanilla...or lemon...with the perfect kind of icing.  I am sorry to say that I don't know the name of the perfect icing, but I can promise that I will know it when I taste it.

How long have you been writing?  I was making scribbles across the page in imitation of words before I even knew my alphabet.  Whether or not you can actually call that writing...

Do you read books and blogs about writing? If so what are some of your favorites?  I find writing tips mostly from GoTeenWriters, K.M. Weiland, Anne-girl, theinkpenauthoress, and thepenslayer.

Do you believe it's important to study writing as an art form? Why or why not?  Interestingly enough, I already have a post scheduled on this very topic -- check back tomorrow for it.

Who's writing has influenced yours the most?  Hmm...hard to say.

Do you consider writing more important than food? Why or why not?   This depends. 
If we are only delaying the food for a little while, then, yes, maybe.  I have been known to type on while everybody else is sitting down to lunch.  It's not worth interrupting an important scene.
If we are actually skipping meals or (horrors!) skipping two meals, then, no, it is not.  How am I to produce excellent story material on a starved brain?

Tell us the thing you are most excited about with your writing.  I love weaving plot threads.  This is something I think that Dickens does well.  I also like scenes that make me laugh, scenes that make me fall in love with my own characters, and scenes that have such gripping action that I am on the edge of my seat to see what my fingers type next.  And I like knowing that I am getting better at writing.

What are you dreading most in your writing?  I am sure this is one of those teacher-y questions that helps the instructor know where to start with a student.  I should answer with something like: "I hate maintaining my characters" or "writing the third act is such a chore for me."  But I can't think of anything like that right now.
No dread, Anne-girl, just excitement...unless it is dread that others won't see the story the way that I do nor understand what I am trying to say.

Would you rather have people love your book now or be considered a genius after you are dead?  I don't think I care, really.  Both would be nice, of course.  I think it would be hard to spend my whole life thinking that I didn't write well enough for the general public.  If I KNEW I would be considered a genius after I died, that would make it easier.  I could plug away at my writing, knowing that it would eventually count for something.  Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like that idea.  I could live out my days in peace and quietness -- no fame, no marketing gimmicks, no public demands -- and then my books could be revered after I am comfortably in my grave.  :)
There is something to be said for the books that stood the test of time, even if they were not well-received when they first appeared.  I have a lot of respect for that.
But I would appreciate the encouragement, while I am still alive, of my books being loved.
When it comes down to it, though, I would write whether my books made it big or not.  Sooo...we are back to where I started: I don't think I care.


And, Anne-girl...I'm just teasing with my title.  ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?