Skip to main content

The Reluctant, Dutiful Wife

     I have a confession to make.

     I was grumpy.

     I was so excited about the opportunity to do a Word War.  It's something I have never done before.  But the idea of sitting down with a community of writers, pounding out material for your manuscript, and then sharing how far you got just sounded amazing.

     And maybe it isn't amazing.  I used to want to ride a school bus.  And I wanted to ride it so bad that, when I finally got the chance, the smell of sweaty socks and stale kiddy perfume was sheer delight.  But I'm sure that people who HAVE to ride the bus are not nearly as enamored with it.

    But, be that as it may, when I realized that I actually got the chance to do a real, live Word War, I was ecstatic.  The night of the War, I sat down and started typing.  Ready, set, here we go!

     And then my husband called.

    And he needed to tell me about his day.

     And I missed the rest of the Word War.

     I was so disappointed.  But the dutiful part of me knew I should set aside the Word War for the real life husband who loves me.

     He could tell I was sad about something, though.  And he wanted to know what it was.  (Isn't that sensitive?).  So I told him.  And he told me that it didn't really sound like that much fun anyway, and I probably wasn't missing out.  (Isn't that insensitive?  Lol.  He's a unique mix,  my man is.)  Which made me mad...and even more adamant that a Word War was truly the most amazing activity on the planet.

    But I recovered.  Or at least I thought I did.  And when a second opportunity arose for a Word War, my heart leapt.  I would get to do one after all!  My husband was at work -- not due to get off until later.  At last, the world would be set right, and I could experience the joys of a full Word War!

     Imagine my surprise, as I sit down to start, when my phone rings.  It is my wonderful husband.  He got off work early today!!!  And he wants to tell me all about it!!!

     Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

     Once again, that feeling of what-is-right rises up in me, and I close my computer down to talk to my wonderful man on his way home.  I know that I could totally tell him at any moment that I'm busy and he would quickly let me go.  He is considerate like that.  But duty tells me that spending time with him is more important.  And duty is right.

     But I'm still struggling with the grumps.

     1 Corinthians 13 tells me that I could give my body to be burned, but, if I don't have love, it doesn't do me any good.  In other words, when I make this great sacrifice for the sake of my husband but it do it with a grumpy-I-hope-he-appreciates-what-I'm-giving-up-for-him attitude, then it really isn't helping him or me or my marriage or anything.

     What I should have done is either to communicate effectively (aka, "hey, baby, can I call you back after this Word War?") or to change my attitude to one of gratitude, trusting that God will work out the Word Wars in the future.

     Which is what I'm going to do now because, oh, the irony, he is calling as I write this post.  Haha!   Now's my chance to practice what I preach!

     After all, reluctantly dutiful is not nearly as good as joyfully supporting. ;)

     I'm not the only one who shares my life with interrupting beings.  I want to hear about you, too.  How do YOU love your parents, siblings, children, roommates, husband, pets, etc. when you are writing?

Comments

  1. I come from a big family, so I get this. It happens to me all the time, I usually say yes to whatever they want me to do. It does irritate me a bit sometimes, because it can be hard to get anything done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! I'm impressed with your progress as a writer because it can be hard to immerse in your story when people interrupt. It's a great skill to have though, and it will serve you well the rest of your life.

      Delete
  2. I feel bad saying this because it isn't empathetic, but this post made me smile. Thanks for the glimpse of real-life. It's strangely refreshing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I admit it was a little bit funny, too. ;)
      Thank you for sharing in my real life. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?