Skip to main content

Interviews of Snow White Authors: Allissa Turack


     Welcome to my blog!  Today I have a very special guest: Allissa Turack.  She was one of the contestants for the last Rooglewood Fairy Tale retelling, and GUYSSSS!  Her story has gypsies!!!!  So, without further ado, help me in welcoming Allissa Turack!

Me:
Allisa!!!  Welcome!  We are so excited to have you here today! (I imagine all our readers are clapping and welcoming you now)

Allissa:
Hi, Esther!  Thank you so much for this opportunity to be interviewed by you!


Me:
What is your story about?

Allissa: 
The Lady of Emberwood Forest is a Regency period retelling of Snow White that takes place in Somerset, England.

Here is a Synopsis:

Lady Eleanor has been living in fear for years. Ever since her father died, she has learned more and more of the coldheartedness and vanity of her stepmother, Lady Georgette. Though appearing to be "kind" towards Eleanor when others are around, Eleanor has witnessed first hand Lady Georgette's true character, but has been much too frightened to tell anyone.
However, after reuniting with her childhood friend, Dr. Charles Wade, she realizes that she needs to confide in someone of the evil that Lady Georgette is capable of. However, after finally sending him a letter, Eleanor is arrested for the theft of a priceless ruby, 'La Pomme Empoisonee' and for the murder of its owner, the French Duchess Beaumont.
Eleanor is certain her stepmother has framed her, so with the help of her father's old footman, Eleanor escapes into Emberwood Forest. While there she befriends seven Gypsies who let her live as one of them until she can prove her innocence.



Me:
I'm curious about this Dr. Charles Wade -- he sounds like an interesting character!  And I'm definitely intrigued by the gypsies.  Also, I love what you did with the ruby (did anybody else catch that?), and having Snow White framed for the murder and theft is quite the twist!!!

So, tell me, what motivated you to enter the Rooglewood contest this year?

Allissa:
I entered two previous Rooglewood contests, and it was just so much fun writing a fairy tale retelling.  Sadly, the "Five Poisoned Apples" is the last Rooglewood fairytale contest, so I couldn't pass it up! Also, writing a novella for a contest is amazing experience.  Having a deadline really gives me extra motivation and discipline to finish the final product.

Me: How did you come up with the idea for your story?

Allissa:
My "Beauty and the Beast" and "Sleeping Beauty" stories were both fantasy, so I wanted to do something different with this one. I wanted it to be exciting, beautiful, and magical without any actual magic in it. I've always been inspired by Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters, so I decided to write a Regency. My husband and I were actually driving home from our honeymoon when I was fleshing out ideas. It was a LONG drive, so we spent hours brainstorming. We had recently watched the Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downy Jr. and I thought the character, Simza (who is a Gypsy) in "A Game of Shadows" was really cool, so that's how I decided to replace dwarves with Gypsies.

Me: 
Tell me a favorite thing from this story!

Allissa:
One of my favorite things about this story is that I replaced the apple with a ruby, "La Pomme Empoisonee'" which means "poisoned apple" in French. I felt like I stuck pretty close to the original story, but I wanted to do something different with the apple. In a way, the ruby still acts as poison, as it is the core to the Duchess' death, and Eleanor's arrest. But I thought it was unique and puts a little twist on the story.



Me:
What was the hardest part of writing this story? If other people struggle with the same thing, what advice would you give them?

Allissa:
The hardest part of writing this story? Goodness, I'm not sure if I can come up with only one answer! For some reason, I was WAY more stressed and emotional working on this one than the others. I think the main reason might be because life was really crazy from the spring to the end of the year. After getting married at the end of May, we moved my stuff from my family's home in Omaha, Nebraska to California where my husband was living. We lived in a little studio apartment for four months, then my husband got a new job which was in Raleigh, North Carolina, but he had training in Wisconsin first. So we had to live there in a hotel for two months. We then bought a house down here in NC and moved in around Christmas time. I sent my story in a few days before the deadline. So yes...on top of all the craziness, I was trying to write two novellas (I did not finish the other in time) for the contest. There were times I just burst into tears and felt like I wasn't good enough to even be considered a writer. But my husband gave me lots of pep talks, and I pushed through, even with all the craziness going on.


My advice to others who are trying to write during a really hectic time in their life: Realize you don't have super powers. You DO need rest, and it's OKAY if you don't reach all your goals you made for that day. It's okay if you have to skip a few days or even longer of writing because life happens. If you truly have the determination and passion to write, you'll find time to work it into your schedule. Then eventually life shouldn't be QUITE as crazy, and you'll be able to figure out the best time and days to work on what you love.

Me:
Can you share a quote or a snippet from your story?

Allissa:
Memories of a cold afternoon suddenly came to her. She could almost vividly see the waves of the river crashing onto the rocks. She could almost feel the water sting her lungs as she tried to gasp for breath. And as she closed her eyes, she could see the form of her stepmother standing near the edge of the river, a distinct smirk planted on her face, ignoring Eleanor’s cries for help.

Me:
What makes a perfect setting for writing? (Do you like silence? Or music? Do you like to sit at a desk or curl up on the couch? Are you a morning writer? Or a evening writer? What works best for you?)

Allissa:
We just finished painting my office and it's by far my favorite place to write! I have a nice writing desk so I kind of feel like a professional writer when I'm sitting at it. One of of the walls, we painted with chalkboard paint, and I wrote a C.S. Lewis quote from 'The Last Battle' which is really inspiring to me. I also have a hammock chair we put up in the corner, so sometimes I'll sit in that to write if I get uncomfortable sitting at the desk for a long time. I have to be listening to music while I write. It's usually very peaceful like piano. And I think I prefer to write in the morning.

Me:
That sounds so cozy!
So tell me a little bit about yourself...



Allissa:
I grew up in the midwest and used to be both an art and piano teacher. I'm a huge tea drinker, a marathon runner, and I love reading and writing about history. Right now I live in Knightdale, North Carolina with my wonderful hubby and our new parakeet Digory.

Me:
What are 3 non-writing things that you like to do?

Allissa:
Hmm...let's see if I can narrow those down to three!
1. Since owning a house, I've kind of surprised myself with how much I absolutely LOVE decorating! I'm a huge DIY person, so I love going to thrift stores and garage sales so I can find furniture and such that I can paint and personalize.
2. I love to cook and bake! I've been trying at least one or two new recipes a week and it's fun to find our favorites (and not so favorites)!
3. I actually really like to play video games with my hubby. My dad, brother, and husband are all computer techie guys, so I've always kind of had an appreciation of the work that goes into creating such complex programs and software.

Me:
Thank you so much for sharing!  I loved all your answers, and this interview was fun!
I hope to hear more from you.  How can we find you in the future?

Allissa:
I used to have a blog, but I haven't posted in such a long time!  I'm planning on creating two blogs soon.  One that is a lifestyle blog that I will share DIY ideas for the home, recipes, and tips on health and beauty.  The other will be geared towards fiction writing.  
Maybe Google my name in a month or two, and they'll pop up!!!

Me:
Thank you again for joining us today!  We loved hearing about your story!!!

Allissa:
Thank you again for doing this! :D


Me:
And thank you, readers, for joining us as well.  Please leave a comment below with some encouragement for Allissa!!!


Comments

  1. Your story sounds compelling! I love that the gypsy's were inspired by Simza, I always thought she was awesome.
    That is amazing that you managed to write it during that chaotic time. That's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?