Skip to main content

BB Villain: Confession Letters

     Mara closed the door, listening to the lock click into place, and leaned her head against the doorframe.  Her head ached from the swirl of the party, and memories of home swarmed her vision, making it impossible to enjoy the attentions of Lerata's nobility.
     Pushing away from the doorframe, the young  queen paced restlessly around the room.  Peace, however, was not to be found and, at last, she dropped to her desk and took up her pen.
     "My darling Newel," she began, her pen scratching across her paper and leaving an elegant train of ink in its wake.  "I try to be strong, but tonight is one of those nights when I feel that I do not belong.  I was not born to be queen, and tonight I cannot repress the feeling of shame that whispers 'Imposter' in my ear.  I have done everything in my power to keep you from ever suspecting.  I never want you to feel as if greatness is not your right by birth, as I sometimes do.  You, at least, will carry your head high with no doubts of your royal blood.  And, together, we will achieve all I ever dreamed of - never fear!"
    A sudden knock at her door sent Mara's heart leaping into her throat.  Such admissions as she made on paper in her darkest times were never meant to be read.  She crumpled the paper in her hand and hurried to the fire on her hearth.
     "Mama," whimpered a timid voice at her door.
      With a weary sigh, Mara glanced down at the crumpled paper in her hand.  For a moment, all of her misgivings and doubts were present in every feature of her face.  Then she tightened her jaw and tossed the crumpled letter into the flames, watching as the fire turned it to ash as it had to all of Mara's previous confession letters.  As the last bit of paper wilted and blackened, the weary look on Mara's face faded away, and it was replaced with a smile of haughty confidence.
     "Yes, my son," Mara called.
     The knob twisted and the great door opened a few inches, revealing a little boy's frightened face.
      "What is it, Newel?" Mara asked gently.
      Newel's fist rubbed against his face and he dragged a blanket across the floor with his other fist.  "I had a bad dream," he whimpered.
     "Come give me a hug," Mara invited him, kneeling down and opening her arms.  The little boy ran to her and snuggled into her embrace.  Mara buried her nose in his hair.  "Even our dreams conspire against us," she murmured.  She shifted her head and rested her chin on Newel's head.  "But your mama knows how to get rid of your bad dream.  I will have your Nanny take you back to your bed, and she will sit with you and sing to you.  Will that suit my prince?"
     Newel nodded reluctantly as his Nanny was summoned and instructed.  He threw one last look back at his mama as Nanny led him away.
     Mara watched them go.  Then she strode across the room to her mirror.  She pinched her cheeks and settled her dress.  There was several more hours of the party awaiting her downstairs and, whether her conscience liked it or not, she alone was queen of Lerata.

via Pinterest
Mara always believed she was born to be queen, but had she?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?