Thursday, May 1, 2014

Time-Traveller Letters

     Have you ever written a time-traveller letter to yourself?  I started this when I was 11 years old.  It was a school assignment.

Write a letter to yourself and seal it to open in 5 years.
 
     I thought it was a silly idea.  And I was sure that I would remember every word through the five years.  However, it had to be done.
     Five years later, I opened the sealed envelope with no memory of what I had written, and the contents made me laugh.  At 11 years of age, I had my life plotted out before me with startling clarity -- from jobs and accomplishments to the year I would meet my future husband and the order of children I would have.  To my 16-year-old mind, it was incredibly childish and unrealistic.
     Now I see there was some truth in that early prediction, although the timing was off.  And I have continued to write letters to myself every year to be opened 5 years later, usually on my birthday.  Sometimes the letter is only a page long.  Sometimes it resembles a small book.  And it is always fun.

Can it be done in a blog?

     Earlier this month, Anne-girl (see post here ) posted a time-traveler letter for her blog.  Since I have enjoyed my personal letters so much, I am going to try this, too.
     Here is what I am going to do: I am going to write and publish a time-traveler post but it will be scheduled for 1 year from today.  We'll see how it looks then!

via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment