Saturday, December 6, 2014

Snippets from 100for100: Week Twelve


     Trudy was just behind me.  “Don’t hold back,” she murmured, just loud enough for me to hear.  “If you perform well in the PE games, you have a chance of making one of the varsity teams.  Otherwise, you get stuck in JV.”
     Like I cared.

**

     I glanced around for the black-haired girl.  She was on the side-lines, whispering to one of the boys.  April was at her elbow, listening to every word.  Good riddance.
 
**
 
     The boy on the other team took off like an Olympian, but the boy on my team took the baton and began to slowly limp toward the next station.  Great.  We had a cripple on our team.  I rolled my eyes.
 
**
     One of the homeless men looked ancient.  His pale, watery eyes seemed to watch the race without seeing it.  Poor old guy.
**
     I cut across the cafeteria and headed straight for the bathrooms.  I pushed my hand against the metal plate, shoving the door open as I stepped inside.  The door banged behind me, and I went to the sink.
     My face stared back at me, slightly pale.
     Maybe it wasn’t Robert.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment