Skip to main content

Contest Update

Last week, I was a little bit frustrated with my story for the Rooglewood Contest.  People had given me suggestions, I decided the suggestions were merited, I wrote some new scenes based on their feedback...and the new scenes were horrible.

I was ready to scrap the whole project.

But I didn't think I had time for a complete rewrite.

And quitting the contest entirely was not an option.  Quitting is worse than failing.

I set aside some time today to work on it.  It's not as bad as I thought it was...which is always a comfort.  I reworked the new scenes to make them fit better.  It's funny how at some places during the story I am so disatisfied with my work...and yet when I finish reading it, I have this little budding hope that it might actually win.

By now, you are probably tired of reading about my emotional roller coasters.  So, as a reward for putting up with me, here are some snippets:



     He thrilled at the feeling of force in each parry and the flashing of sunlight off the swords.



     At last, a servant knocked on his door and delivered the message on a silver platter.  William snatched it up, unfurling the tightly curled paper, and held it to the light.



     “Soon music will be playing, people will be cheering, and the most delightful smells will be drifting up from the kitchens.  The whole country rejoices at his return.”  She turned keen eyes toward him.  “Will you?”



     William popped a grape into his mouth and slowly crushed it between his teeth, feeling its sweet juices spraying across his tongue. 



     Then, without changing any further, he climbed into his bed, reveling in the smell of horse sweat and leather than still clung to his clothes.
 
 
     She blew a little puff of air that was almost like a laugh.  “You can’t be serious,” she said, her eyes wavering between disbelief and mockery.


     A laugh rose in William’s throat but stopped halfway up, turning into a lump that would not be swallowed. 



     “You poor thing!  Manual labor?”



       “Open the door, you beast, or we shall burn you out!”



      Her face was still angry and she lifted her chin defiantly.  “I do not care if you are the king of Leramay and the handsomest man alive,” she said. 



      These thoughts flitted rapidly through William’s head, even as the deer in the field startled at Grace’s appearance and leapt into the forest.  And then, just as the deer, the thoughts were gone, replaced by the sound of thundering hooves.



     “God save us, sir!  You’re bleeding!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?