Skip to main content

Behind the Scenes Writing Tag

Is there a certain snack you like to eat while writing?
Not particularly. If I'm hungry, I nibble on whatever we have in the house. But typically food is not on my brain while I'm writing.

When do you normally write? Night, afternoon, or morning?
Whenever I get the chance. This may be early in the morning...or sometime in the afternoon...or late after everyone else has gone to bed.

Where do you write?
Most of my writing is done at the computer in a corner separated from the kitchen by a thin wall. Which means that writing just before or after a meal is difficult due to the lively conversations right next to my ear.

How often do you write a new novel?
Thanks to Rooglewood, I write at least one new short story every year. My full-length novels take longer, and I haven't been doing this long enough to give you a good estimate on time.

Do you listen to music while you write?
Not usually. It's a rare thing. Theoretically, listening to music sounds like a great idea. But when I'm doing creative writing, the mood of my writing changes with the scenes and the characters. If I spend time to find the right music for the scene (which seems like a waste of time), then the song is either too short or too long. And then I have to find another song for the next scene. <exasperated sigh>
Music moves me. Writing moves me. And if they aren't moving in the same direction at the same time, then I feel torn.
So, no, I don't usually listen to music while I write.


What do you write on? Laptop or paper?
Mostly computer. My brain moves too fast for my pencil to keep up, which I find frustrating. But sometimes I write on paper -- when I can convince my brain to slow down a little.  
For the record, though, my private journal is on paper.

Is there a special ritual you have before or after you write?
Stretching, maybe? Lol.
I don't have any planned rituals, but sometimes things happen. Like kinks from hunching over a computer.

What do you do to get into the mood to write?
Do you need to be in a particular mood? I think I could always write, no matter what frame of mind I am in. Writing is the way I think, sometimes.
That being said, there are sometimes certain moods you are going for in the story. There are a couple writers who write in styles completely different from my own, but they write with excellence. I read them to inspire myself to greatness.
Pinterest sparks new stories for me. I see a picture and a potential story attacks my brain. Don't laugh -- it probably happens to you, too. ;)
And pretending to be a character, turning myself into them before I start writing, sometimes helps me bring the right flavor to a scene.

What is always near the place you write?
My faithful, loyal companions (my dogs -- their idea, not mine).

Do you have a reward system for your word count?
Making a blog post about it. That feels rewarding to me.

Is there anything about your writing process that others might not know about?
I have a callous on my finger, and the other day I was trying to figure out where it came from. Lo, and behold, I have discovered that I bite my finger when I'm deep in thought. I didn't even realize I was doing it. But, thanks to SPINDLE (who was being very difficult for a while there), I now have a nice callous.
So, is there something about my writing process that others might not know about? Yes - I didn't even know about it. But, apparently, biting my finger is an integral part of plot development for me.

Thank you, Emily Putzke, for the tag!

Comments

  1. Haha, stretching! I normally end up doing that too.
    That's so true what you said about music and writing. I like listening to music, but I always spend a bit more time than I should finding the right song; though I've found a few that work for me for several different types of scenes.
    Fun answers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's the way to do it, Mary -- you've already got some go-to songs. Smart idea.
    Thanks for reading and enjoying!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?