Skip to main content

A Bit of Backstory

I wrote a scene to go along with my new project.  It's a bit of backstory that I needed to establish.  I don't know how to include it in the book -- maybe a flashback? or a prologue?  But I am sure I will figure that out as I go.  In the meantime, enjoy this clip:

via Pinterest

     Her parents nodded with eager smiles and discrete winks at one another when he offered to walk her to her suite. He knew she saw their looks as well, but she did not hesitate to accept his offer. She never did.
     Outside, it was almost as bright as day. Moonlight danced across the rippling waves and gave a bluish glow to the beach. The warm sand poured over his sandals as he trudged along by her side.
     "I love your summer retreat," she said, fondly, breaking the silence. "It's such a welcome relief from the pressures of court."
     "Some pressures follow us, even here," he countered. He didn't mind really. He had been born to reign someday, and the pressures of royal life were normal to him.
     She blushed. "Like my parents," she murmured. "You know, they want us to marry."
     "I figured as much," he responded. Her parents had been so hopeful when they were invited to the royal ocean retreat. In their minds, wedding bells were already pealing and their daughter would soon be a princess.
     "I'm never going to marry," she said. "I have too much to do. One of these days I am going to convince my parents that I am going to be a doctor."
     "Maybe you can do both," he suggested.
     She laughed. "In Lerata? Not a chance," she reminded him, lightly.
     "Go be a doctor then," he said, fondly. "But if you ever change your mind..."
     Her eyes danced with fun and suppressed laughter. "Are you proposing?" she queried. He could hear the laughter in her voice, trying to bubble to the surface.
     "You are the best option in the royal court," he said, matter-of-factly. In truth, she had been his friend, almost from infancy, and was more of a sister than a love interest. But he could not deny that he loved her and wanted her to be happy. If he had to pick a bride, she was a logical choice.
     Her laughter, no longer willing to be repressed, rang out merrily at his statement. "That's no reason to marry," she informed him. Her eyes twinkled. "You make it sound like we are the only two people stranded on a deserted island. 'I don't see anyone better. I might as well marry you.' What a notion!" Her face grew serious then; he was surprised at how serious. "I am not the right one for you, Edward," she said. "You will see. You just haven't met her yet."
     They had reached her suite. Her individual set of rooms was on the end of the row, overlooking the beach. He held out his hand to her, helping her up the bank and onto her front porch.
     "Goodnight, Cassie," he said. "Sleep well."
     "Goodnight, Edward," she said. "See you in the morning."
     He grinned. His yacht was arriving in the morning, and he had every intention of sailing with Cassie at dawn.
     She waved to him and went inside. He, feeling boyish, cleared her front steps with one leap, and trotted casually back up the beach toward his own suites. Sand flicked with each step, and a disturbed crab scuttled out of his path. He slowed to a walk and then stopped, gazing over the moonlit ocean, hoping to see his yacht sailing into the inlet. But the horizon was clear. No matter -- it was not due to arrive until just before dawn.
     Suddenly, as he stood there, a sense came over him that something was amiss. Smoke. He smelled smoke. And a crackling sound filled the air. He half turned to glance behind him, and the scene filled him with horror. Cassie's apartments were ablaze.
     "Cassie," he gasped, his voice barely more than a whisper. In the next instant, fear lent wings to his feet -- fear for his best friend. He raced over the sand, quickly closing the distance between himself and her suite. "Cassie!" he shouted.
     The entire suite was on fire. He had never known it could spread so quickly. Already flames enveloped every entrance and poured from every window.
     With barely a hesitation, he rammed his way through the front door, feeling as though his skin were melting in the fervent heat. "Cassie!" he called, choking on the smoke. "CASSIE!!!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?