Skip to main content

Acts and Layers


     I've been working on ToP in my spare moments, trying to figure out how to say all that I want to say.  The thing about ToP is that it is layered.  There is not just one arc.  And that is true of many stories -- especially big, fat ones.  But what I haven't learned from "how-to" articles is how to plot all of those layers.



     One of the things that I am doing is a character relationship chart, which I invented (and shared here).  
     Some relationships stay steady through a whole book, but many of them follow an arc.
Examples:

  • Strangers to friends.  
  • Love at first sight to a lasting solid relationship.  
  • Friends to enemies.  
  • Enemies to arc-enemies.  
  • Enemies to friends.
     And those relationships may be viewed differently by the different parties involved.  Maybe Joyce was trying to make friends all along, but Brenda couldn't see that until the end.  Maybe the hero thinks that the villain is his adoring fan when all along the villain has been flattering him while plotting his downfall.  Maybe Angie thinks Ben is just a geeky neighbor when Ben is really an undercover bodyguard sent to protect her.
     So the chart really helped me to plot that out.



     Another thing that I am doing is multiple copies of a "key scenes list."  You find different variations of these lists on a number of writer help sites.  GoTeenWriters has one, if you need one.  But you've probably already seen them.   Glimpse of normal world, inciting event,...big twist,...climax, denouement...you get the idea.  These lists of important events don't tell you what is happening in a specific story -- they are an outline of things that happen in every good story...an outline that you can then fill in with your own story details.
     So I made multiple copies of this key scenes list.  And then I filled one out for each plot layer.  And I order them in line of "most important."  For example, the most important layer in ToP is Petura's own self-journey.  I filled out an outline of the big twists and climaxes and all the plot points relating specifically to her learning about herself and what she wants to be.  This layer is going to get the most attention in the book.
     There is another layer with the young men courting the princess' hand in marriage.  ToP is not a romance novel so this is farther down on my list of importance -- it won't get as much "screen time" in the book.  However, Petura goes through an arc of meeting these different suitors and learning how to choose...or if to choose at all.  So I filled out a list of normal world, obstacles, twists, climaxes, etc for the courtship parts.
     There are questions of government and rebels and greedy countries.  These follow their own arc through the book and so I filled out the key scenes as if this layer was a story of it's own.
     And so on and so forth with all the arcs I wanted to feature in ToP.  The only rule I made was that the Acts (Act I, Act II, Act II) must line up chronologically with each other.  If an arc is big enough to impact the whole book, then it must work together on a timeline.
     For example, in Petura's self-journey arc, Act I is all about her meeting the characters of her new world and trying to fulfill Calene's request.  In Petura's courtship arc, Act I is all about her wrapping her brain around the idea of finding a future spouse.  I will make the climax of both "Act I's" to happen around the same time, and then they will both escalate together into Act II.  Eventually, all my different arcs will be so interwoven, you won't be able to tell them apart.


          At least, that is the plan.  And I am going to adjust this plan, filling in what needs to be filled in and inventing what needs to be invented, until I am ready to let myself loose on the page.  I haven't forgotten that TCK and BC are both ahead of this one in line to be written.  And I am content to wait.  But, oh, won't it be exciting when I get there!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?