Skip to main content

Too Much Drama, Not Enough Action

"Too much drama, not enough action."


I've talked about this before, but I am coming back to it because I have seen this drama/action ratio again.  This time, it was in the first 2 episodes of OUAT.  I didn't especially like it, so I spent an evening mulling over WHY I didn't like it...so that I can avoid the same mistakes in my own writing.
Before I start, I should reiterate that I only saw 2 episodes.  I know several people who absolutely love this show, and I am sure that there are great things about it that I overlooked.  So, don't be angry with my judgments -- I know they aren't perfect.
Going into the show, I knew that it was a tremendous favorite among several groups on the blogging world.  And therefore, I had a kind of disney princess/robin hood/king arthur expectation...which was inaccurate.  Also, OUAT is not the sort of show that I typically watch so it all seemed new and strange to me.

Here is what I saw:

Pros: mystery.  Honestly, the only reason I watched the second episode is because I was confused over what was going on and I was somehow so sure that if I only watched a little bit longer I would figure it out.  Personally, I would have liked to be able to follow the story a little better, but the pieces that they gave me were just enough to make me crave to solve it.  And that "cliff-hanger" technique keeps people's attention.

Cons: there was a lot of drama.  Tears.  Heartbreak.  Dispair.  Agony.  But I wasn't sure why.  I felt like I was watching it, not living it.  There was no realization in me, apart from the character's reactions, of the gravity of the situation.  It felt something like this (words in red are my reaction/words in black are the example):
"Oh, no!  I tripped over a pink shoelace!"  <terrified character grasps her own throat and looks about wildly>
What's wrong with tripping over a pink shoelace?
"I can't believe you tripped over the pink shoelace!  Don't you know you could get us all killed?  SHE will be after you when the sun goes down. And she is not going to catch me within 2 miles of you." <second character starts to run away from first character> "Stay away from me!"
Okayyyy...so I guess tripping over pink shoelaces invokes deadly wrath from a female character.  Still not sure why, but, okay, I'll go with it. 
See what I mean?  I prefer a story where I already know the deadly promise regarding the pink shoelace.  I want to cringe when the character passes by the shoelace.  I want to yell at the book or the screen "Watch out!!!"  And, when she trips on the lace, I want to gasp at the same time as she does because I KNOW what could happen next.
In OUAT, I couldn't see the stakes, except as the character dialogue (usually post-catastrophe) revealed them to me.  That is not my favorite style.

Observation (neither pro nor con): They used character dialogue quite a lot to catch you up on the minimal information you needed to know to process a scene.
For example: I see a girl sobbing on the bed, and I have no idea who she is.  But another character comments that Snow White couldn't be at fault because Snow White has such a good heart and never does anything wrong.  Now, even though I haven't come to know Snow White myself, I have the character insight in order to understand how heartbreaking it is that Snow White is in this situation.
Personally, I think they overdid this technique.  Too often I was handed information in character dialogue.  However, it is a technique to be mastered, and it was neat to see how they used it.


I say "too much drama and not enough action," but here is another way to put it: a good story is a mix of action scenes and reaction scenes.  In my TCK story, there is an action scene where Amos is attacked by a Drago.  Shortly after is a reaction scene, where Amos reflects on how close he came to dying.  Readers need the reaction scene to help process what is happening.  But in OUAT, I felt like nearly every scene was a reaction scene.  Where were the action scenes?

I tell you all this, not to put down any other writer, but to encourage you to avoid pitfalls that even popular shows can have.  I turned OUAT off after 2 episodes and do not plan to watch any more.  The mystery alone was not enough to hold my attention when there was so much drama and very little action.

Have you critiqued any stories lately in order to improve your own writing skills?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?