Skip to main content

Dungeon Cover

Cover design by Anne-girl at http://scribblingskeyboard.blogspot.com/

     So, in February, I won a raffle hosted by Anne-girl on her blog.  The prize was a "for fun" book cover designed by her.  She contacted me promptly and we began working on this cover.
     My job was to give her some info on the story -- something she could build a cover around.  Her job, of course, was the artistic part.
     This opportunity to have Anne-girl work on a cover with me was, in my opinion, a fantastic opportunity for me to walk through the steps.  I've never had someone make a cover for me before.  What would it be like?
     After I sent my initial information to Anne-girl, she came back with a set of drafts that she had created -- different covers she had come up with based on the information I had given her.
     Looking at those covers, I could see what "rang true" to my story and what didn't.  I emailed her back with my favorite two covers and what I liked about them, and we went from there.  That helped me to communicate better.  I could see where I had neglected to give her necessary information.  Looking at her pictures helped me to explain what I did want and make sure we were on the same page.

Here is an analogy of what happened (in oversimplified terms):
Me: Dear Anne, I want you to draw me a shape.
Anne: Okay, here are some shapes. Which one do you like? Or should I start over with different kinds of shapes? (She includes sketches of a circle, a square, and a triangle)
Me: Oooh, I like that round one, but I wish it had four corners like the square one.
Anne: Okay, here is a picture of a square with rounded corners. (sketch included)
Me: That's nice. Can you make that square longer?
Anne: How about a rectangle with rounded corners? (Sketch included)
Me: Perfect!

Things I like about this cover:
---The girl's attitude: There is a place or two in the story that I think is captured well here.
---The dark background:  The dungeon in my story was a dark place.  It is deep underground, and the torches are not often lit.
---The light streaming in: this has a double meaning for me.  There is a place in the dungeon where a small beam of light does stream down, much like the light on this cover.  But also, the light is metaphorical because it is in the dungeon that my princess' eyes are opened to the world around her.
---The lantern: A lantern is never mentioned in my book, but I still very much like this lantern because of its symbolism.  Lanterns are meant to search the dark, and they are meant to bring light.  Both of these things are fitting, in my book.
---The pretty script: one of the drafts that Anne showed me had morbid lettering - it made me think of a horror story.  I realized that I have a very dark title.  The word "Dungeon" looks very good in "horror lettering".  But the inside of my book is not meant to be dark and morbid.  So I needed to offset my title with a pretty script.  I like this script that Anne chose.  It is serious enough to fit my book ("Comic Sans" would not have worked) but still light, elegant, old-fashioned, and pretty.

Anne was easy to work with, and I very much enjoyed having a cover done by her. Thank you, Anne-girl!

P.S. To see other posts on Dungeon, click on the label of that name.  You can also find more info under "Works in the Wings."

Comments

  1. Very nice! Well done, Anne-girl! And I'll bet you're super excited to have a book cover as the face for your novel. Always a thrill for a writer. ^.^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?